Augusta 70.3 Camp Recap
July 13-14, 2013
We held our annual Augusta Ironman 70.3 camp about two months before this year’s race to help inform, educate and train many of the race’s athletes. Despite heavy rain that made it impossible to swim in the Savannah River, we had a great turnout with about 60 athletes at this year’s event.
We’d like to thank all of those who participated, especially the many enthusiastic and welcoming members of the Augusta Triathlon Club, and give another shout-out to the event’s many sponsors; including the Augusta Sports Council, Peak Rehabilitation, Fitness and Performance Center, All3Sports, Generation UCAN, Outspokin’ Bicycles, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage and Fusion Sports USA. For those who attended, don’t forget to visit our sponsors for some great deals.
Here are a few recaps of the weekend.
“A dream training weekend!” – Virginia at Swim Bike Kid
“Just what everyone needed!” – Devon at TriDevil_DK
“It was a great weekend. Thank you guys so much for the hospitality. It was great!” – Mark Nelson, Orange Park, Florida – via Facebook
We look forward to seeing a new crop of attendees next year!
Below is a recap of the weekend camp agenda.
- WHAT: Camp Registration followed by lectures on training, race prep, course tips, nutrition, lab testing, injury prevention and rehab. In addition to course prep talks from TriCoachGeorgia.com coaches, we’ll have representatives from All3Sports, Peak Performance, the Augusta Sports Council and Outspokin’ Bicycles on hand to speak with camp attendees and answer questions. We will also be distributing participant swag bags and raffle tickets for a variety of giveaways throughout the weekend.
- WHEN: 8 am
- WHERE: Peak Rehabilitation, Fitness and Performance Center.
1305 D’Antignac St, Augusta, GA 30901
- FOOD:A light breakfast (bagels, fruit, juice, coffee) will be provided
- PARKING: At the Peak Performance Lab, located 2.4 miles from the Augusta Boathouse transition area.
BIKE COURSE PREVIEW RIDE (SAG provided by All3Sports)
- WHAT: We’ll have 3 different Pace Groups and 2 ride-length options (56 miles and 45 miles).
- PACE GROUPS: Led by TriCoachGeorgia.com coaches and TriAugusta team members.
- FULL-COURSE options:
15-16 mph or below (3:30 +)
17-18 mph (3:15 – 3:30)
19-20 mph. + (2:45 – 3:00)
- 45-MILE option (We will have a TriCoachGeorgia coach or a local TriAugusta team member available to help lead this shorter route at whatever pace you want. There will only be ONE group for this option.)
- WHEN: 11 am start
- WHERE: 101 Riverfront Drive Augusta, GA 30901
Start at Augusta boathouse/Transition area (You can ride to the boathouse from Peak offices or drive your car over and park in the lot.)
*NOTE: The ride will be supported by an All3Sports van, staffed by store employees. We are grateful to have them along!
After the bike ride, we will have an optional brick run. It will be HOT. Water will be supplied for all runners by All3Sports. We also hope to have other hydration choices. If you have a specific beverage of choice, plan to bring your own hydration.
DINNER/SOCIAL MEET & GREET (presented by Augusta Wells Fargo Home Mortgage)
If you have selected to join the group for dinner/drinks.
- WHAT: Dinner with TriCoachGeorgia coaches and TriAugusta team members. WHEN: 6:00 PM
- WHERE: Crums on Central
1855 Central Ave, Augusta, GA 30904
- DETAILS: We will have a private room with a fixed-price menu.
- PARKING: On street or in the rear of restaurant. (You have to drive between two buildings to access the rear parking lot.) If possible, please carpool.
- MENU: (This is the REALLY GOOD part!)
- APPETIZERS AND DRINKS (provided by Wells Fargo Home Mortgage and TriCoachGeorgia)
Lemon Hummus, Olive Tapenade, Small Herb Salad, Wood Fired Pizza, Domestic beer and wine
- ENTREES (paid for by attendee) $20, not including tax or gratuity.
Pork Pasta – In house smoked pulled pork in a rustic garlic cream sauce. With smoked tomatoes, carmalized onions and arugula.
12 oz Ribeye – Served with garlic whipped mashed potatoes and asparagus
Organic Chicken Breast – pan roasted and served with wild rice and sauteed seasonal veggies.
OPEN WATER SWIM:
- SAVANNAH RIVER SWIM HAS BEEN CANCELED DUE TO DANGEROUS CONDITIONS
WHAT: Open water swim in Augusta area. Details to follow.
WHEN: 8 AM start with full kayak support.
WHERE: Directions to follow
RUN COURSE PREVIEW:
- WHAT: Run workouts (1 loop or 2 loops) with 3 pace groups led by TriCoachGeorgia.com coaches and TriAugusta team members.
- PACE GROUPS:
2:45-3:00+ (12-15 min/mile+)
2:30 (11 min/mile)
2:00 (9 min/mile)
- WHEN: 9 am start after swim
- WHERE: Augusta Boathouse Transition area
101 Riverfront Drive
Augusta, GA 30901Get ready to Do Your Job!
– The TriCoachGeorgia Team